Recipe: Vegan Corn Smash & Corn, Tomato, and Zucchini Salad
When I was growing up, we had a farm in Indiana, and I remember hot days working in the garden with my mom and sister. Although pulling weeds is not a fond memory, the tall rows of sweet corn certainly are!
Those memories seem closest to me this time of year. Maybe it’s the abundance of sweet, yellow corn or seeing the growth in my own, small garden. Every time I go to the market, I can’t resist buying corn. It seems to be a daily summer staple in our house, accompanying elegant dinners to back yard bbq.
Here are two of my favorite corn recipes. Post your pics to our Facebook page – I love to see what everyone is cooking!
Vegan Corn Smash Ingredients:
- 8 ears of corn
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
I served this recently under seared scallops. It was delicious, and has the flavor and texture of creamed corn. If you don’t have a Vitamix, use a food processor.
Vegan Corn Smash Instructions:
- Cut kernels off 8 ears of corn, and saute in a hot cast iron pan until the kernels get pretty brown spots.
- Transfer 3/4 of the corn to the blender, and blend with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk to the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add the creamed mixture back to the pan with the whole kernels.
- Adjust seasonings, and keep warm until ready to serve.
Corn, Tomato, and Zucchini Salad Ingredients:
- 3 pounds medium zucchini
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from 4 ears)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Corn, Tomato, and Zucchini Salad Instructions:
- Cut Zucchini into a small dice. Set aside.
- Cut corn off the cob. (Corn does not need to be cooked.)
- Whisk together lemon juice, sugar, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking.
- Add zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and basil and toss well.